These (in-progress) lyrics reflect the multiple conversations I’ve had with Grainger Market users. Sensations (smells, colours, a sense of history, time and place) were a recurring theme.
1. Hear the Cry Hear the cry Hear the cry Hear the cry and taste the fruit of early risers Smell the perfumed air Smell the perfumed air that’s clothed in splendour drifting Find a place to rest Find a place to rest and feel the goodness on you Think of how it used to be Think of how it used to be and how it will be Hear the cry Hear the cry
2. Scent Caught the scent Right now Please linger
3. Soap As I clean your hands, so too am I cleansed As my body wanes, your face is renewed Put me in a spin and see how I foam In my sacrifice is all your desire
4. Coffee Dark one, bitter, roasted, Ground, holy drug Rhyme and reason Dark one, bitter, roasted, Ground, holy drug Talk and treason
5. Fruit The sun has cooled enough to eat Mars has ripened The crescent moon, peel its skin Squeeze the stars